What to Do When You Get Hurt Inside a Business

Getting hurt is never fun, but it’s even worse when you get hurt inside of a business establishment. You may slip and fall on a wet substance or food particle inside of a business, for example. That experience might hurt your body, your pride, and your wallet. The good news is that there are some things you can do if it happens to you. Here’s what you need to do:

Notify the Management

The first thing you need to do once you get your wits back together is to notify the acting manager. The manager will need to write a report about your slip-and-fall incident so that it’s on record what happened. Don’t try to get up too quickly from your injury. Take some time to sit down and breathe while you figure out where your injuries are. You’ll need to put that information in the report. 

Gather Your Witnesses

Shortly after the fall is the perfect time to start talking to all the witnesses who saw what happened. There may come a time when you need to call on those witnesses to tell the courts or an attorney about the incident. The more people you can gather who saw what happened, the easier it will be for you to receive any compensation the business might owe you for allowing those injuries to occur. Ask the witnesses if they are willing to offer a written statement if they would rather not appear in court for a hearing. 

Get Medical Care

You will need to get the appropriate medical care right away. Sometimes, people don’t feel pain when they first get hurt because of their adrenaline levels. You may be more hurt than you think. That’s why it’s important to get to a doctor or hospital for x-rays, evaluations, diagnoses, and treatment plans. You’ll need all of that information to legitimize your claim if you decide to take the business to court for neglect. It’s better to get to the doctor right away and not waste any time at all. You can start your healing process if you see a specialist as soon as the incident occurs. 

Contact an Attorney

The last thing you’ll need to do is schedule an appointment with a Denver personal injury attorney. Don’t worry about the cost, as a personal injury attorney might have a contingency option for you. He or she may not charge you anything for your consultation either. It’s important that you at least consult with an attorney and give that person some details about your case. The attorney might be able to help you get two types of compensation you can use in your recovery journey. The first kind of compensation is called compensatory damages, and the second kind is called punitive damages. 

Contact an Attorney Now

There’s no reason to wait if you’ve experienced a slip-and-fall incident inside of a business. You need to get on the case right now. Contact an attorney immediately so that you can get the representation you need right away.